B.A. (Hons) English Syllabus
COURSE CODECOURSE NAMECREDITS
Premchand – The Holy Panchayat
R.K. Narayan – The M.C.C
Sadat Hasan Manto – Toba Tek Singh
O. Henry – The Gift Of Magi
Oscar Wild – Rose &The Nightingale
G.D. Manupassant – The Diamond Necklace
Ambai – Squirrel
Vaikom Mohammad Basheer – The Card's Sharpers Daughter04
Basic Psychological Processes:
Nature, definition, scope, historical perspective and applications of psychology. Methods- introspection, observation, experimental, interview, questionnaire and case study.
Visual, auditory and other senses: Structure and functions. Attentional Processes: Nature, types and determinants of attention. Perceptual processes: Nature and principles of perceptual organization. Depth perception- Monocular and Binocular cues. Illusion and Hallucination.
Learning: Nature and definition of learning. Classical & Operant conditioning, Basic principles and theories of learning: Thorndike's trial and error, Kohler's insight, and Bandura's observation learning. Transfer of learning, factors influencing learning.
- 1. Atkinson and Hilgard (2002). Introduction to psychology. New York: Thomson wadsworth
- 2. Baron, R.A. Psychology: The Essential Science. New York: Allyn and Bacon.
- 3. Feldman,R.S. (2006). Understanding Psychology. India: Tata Mcgraw Hill.
- 4. Lefton, L.A. (1985). Psychology. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- 5. Morgan C.T. King R.A. Weiz J.R. Schopler, J. (2002). Introduction to psychology. Tata Mcgraw Hill.
- 6. Singh,A.K. (2002) Uchchatar Samanya Manovigyan. New Delhi: Motilal Banarasidas.
- 7. Zimbardo, P.G and Weber, A.L. (1997). Psychology. New York: Harper Collins Collge Publishers
- 1. Span of attention
- 2. Measurement of illusion. (Muller-Lyer Illusion)
- 3. Transfer Effect.
- 4. Sensory Motor Learning. (Mirror drawing apparatus)
Introduction to Sociology:
Sociology and Commonsense, Origin and Development of Sociology, Definition, subject matter, (Scope, and Nature of Sociology) Relationship of Sociology with other social sciences.
Basic Concepts: Society, Community, Association, Social Structure, Status & Role, Norms and Values Culture.
Social Groups & Processes: Definition, Nature and types of Groups- Primary Secondary & Reference Group; Social Processes- Co-operation, Conflict and Accommodation
Social Institutions: Marriage, Family, Kinship, State and Religion; Their Functions and Features.
- 1. Alex Inkles, What is Sociology? An Introduction to the Discipline and Profession. New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India
- 2. T.B. Bottomore, Sociology: A Guide to Problems and Literature, New Delhi: Blackie & Sons (India) Ltd.
- 3. H.M. Johnson, Sociology: An Introduction, New York: Boston
- 4. Gisbert, Fundamentals of Sociology, Delhi: Orient Black Swan
- 5. F. Abraham: Sociology, Oxford University Press
- 6. Haralambos: Sociology: Themes and Perspectives
- 7. Horton Hunt Sociology, McGraw- Hill Book Company
- 8. K.L Sharma, Indian Social Structure and Change, Rawat Publications
- 9. Ritzer George, Sociological Theory, Tata Mcgraw- Hill Pvt New Delhi.